So I wanted to go overland from Lagos, Nigeria to either Accra or Ouagadougou in Burkina Faso via Benin, and Togo. Relatively easy thing if you travel enough and have a visa. Well, I didn't and getting one in Nigeria was a headache or practically impossible in the time frame I had. To give you an example, I spent a day driving around looking for a Burkina consulate I was assured by internet creatures is there. I found all three locations, the only thing all former locations from 2 -5 years ago!
So, armed with "updated" Lonely Planet book, and some info from travel bloggers I set out to get visas on arrivals or on the way....
Can someone explain to me why we are paying 27USD for a so called up to date Lonely Planetbook that has not been updated in at least 5 years?! Seriously, the "experts" provide out of date addresses, tell me there are no embassies or it is possible to get a visa on arrival at a tenth of the actual cost.
Ok, for anyone going that way here are some points regarding visas. I went from Lagos - Cotonou - Lome - Ouaga
Will post points on actual travel like where to stay , eat, do, etc later
1. Benin visa on arrival at land border is possible. But, it is NOT 10,000CFA, but 32,798CFA, 48 hour transit visaonly! Do not listen to Nigerians who will say it is not possible to get it. One guy will say yes lets go and check, and other will pretend to be his superior and say no...fast forward 15 minutes of arguing the original guy will take you there and then will ask for a gift and say things like see, my boss said not possible but i worked so hard , please give me $200...yep not kidding you...DON'T!
2. No Burkina Faso consulate in Cotonou - FALSE! There is one behind Chemnots Pharmacie. The 3 months multi entry is 30,000CFA, 20,000 for a 3 months single entry. Can be done on the same day!
3. 7 day transit visa on Togo border is possible but the price is 20,000 not 10,000CFA everyone states
4. No visa on arrival , normal or transit at Burkina border, they will send you back
5. Transit visa to Ghana 75$ USD for only 24hours! If you really must go , use a hole in the border north of border gate. Soldiers stand there and every 5 minutes the border will open and 20 motorcycle will smuggle stuff in. It will cost you 1000CFA to go through...but as a disclaimer, not something i recomend
Hope these help